Rochester, New York: Rochester Public Library, 1974. Stapled Binding. Near Fine. Item #2335620
Minor general wear.
40 pp. Mortimer Reynolds, prominent lifelong Rochesterian and businessman, came to purchase the collection virtually intact. Reynolds sought to form a new library (comprised of the collection he bought) in honor of his father and brother, Abelard and William Reynolds, who were strong benefactors of the Athenaeum and Mechanics Association. The Reynolds Library was incorporated in 1884. After ironing out preparations, the library opened to the public in the Reynolds Arcade on East Main Street in 1886. It was a privately endowed free lending library that concentrated on a strong reference collection. Mortimer Reynolds died in 1892 and he left his home, a mansion on Spring Street, for the library’s new headquarters.