Boston: The Old South Association. Stapled Binding. Near Fine. Item #2324133
No publisher date. Wrappers lightly toned.
20 pp. From the "History of New Sweden" by Israel Acrelius. Beginning in 1749, Acrelius took a post in Wilmington, Delaware, site of a Swedish Lutheran congregation which dated to the time of the New Sweden colony. At that time, Holy Trinity remained a Swedish Lutheran parish. The church would remain so until placed under the jurisdiction of the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1791. Acrelius served simultaneously as both pastor and provost to the Swedish congregations in the area. He was a minister at St. Paul's Church in Chester, Pennsylvania in 1756. Because of health concerns, Acrelius returned to Sweden in 1756. The king gave him a large pension, and he received the lucrative pastorate of a church in the parish of Fellingsbro in the province of Västmanland during 1758. Shortly thereafter in 1759, he published his History of New Sweden, which dealt with the religious and secular history of the area. This book was translated into English by William Morton Reynolds, who learnt Swedish for the purpose, and published in 1874.--Wikipedia